Sunday 31 August 2014

Elizabeth Craft Designs August 2014 Designer Challenge

Good morning friends!

It's time for the Elizabeth Craft Designs DESIGNER CHALLENGE, and this month the challenge is "Asian".  There was a lot to choose from in the Elizabeth Craft Designs line, and it took me a few days to narrow down what I wanted to do.

For my first project, I finally decided on a Stand Up card …


For complete directions on how to make this type of Stand-Up card, see my posts HERE and HERE.

I started with the pretty Ginger Jar Peel-Off in gold, and attached it to a piece of vellum...


Then, I flipped it over and added colour with Copic markers on the back side. I love the soft look this gives the vase.


When I get a new package of double sided adhesive sheets, I usually take all but one and attach a sheet of lightweight white card stock to one side of the rest of them. I like having that step finished when I want to glitter Peel-Off's! I cut a piece from one of those card stock-backed double sided adhesive sheets, peeled off the liner and adhered the vellum to it. Then I simply fussy cut the vase and it was ready for mounting.

All the gold layers you see on my card are from a gold Shimmer Sheetz. The patterned card stock panel was attached to the slightly larger gold Shimmer Sheetz panel with strong adhesive, then I ran both layers through with an embossing folder. This gives a nice deep impression.


Here is the card in the closed position, and ready to pop into an A2 envelope!


I'm loving the new Word Stand-Up Helper dies, and chose Best Wishes for this card.



I don't usually back the word Stand-Up Helpers, but I wanted the gold to show through so I added a scrap of gold Shimmer Sheetz behind the word cut out.


Then, to make the back of the card nice and neat - I attached a panel of patterned paper to the back.


I was finished and heading back upstairs - I had already turned out the lights in my studio when I caught sight of a strip of Asian printed paper on my stamping area. Ha - I turned those lights back on and made a bookmark. No way I was going to let that mojo get away from me.



The patterned paper measured 10-1/2 x 2", so I scored it at 5-1/4, added adhesive to one side and folded it in half. Then I added the pretty Kimono Peel-Off adding colour with Copic Markers. This was fairly quick to put together, and will be a fun little gift to tuck in with a card.

While the carpet installers were at our house last week, I had some time in my studio. I decided to go ahead and make a second card for the challenge! I was inspired by a couple of things for this card. Karen Burniston did an AMAZING card using white images outlined with a black pen, so I outlined inside the gold peel-off with a black fine point pen.


One of the other ECD Design Team members shared their challenge card and they had used dragonflies, which I thought was brilliant. I didn't want to just copy the idea, so instead perched a butterfly on top of the vase.

The pretty metallic card stock was from a small stack I made a couple of years ago. I'm finding all kinds of things as I start to pack up my studio!


Inside, the Happy Birthday is cut from the same metallic card stock and I will use a gel pen to sign out names on the black card stock.


I added the floral border sticker to the last scrap of the metallic card stock, fussy cut it out and adhered it to the bottom edge of the panel. The panels were outlined with a Stardust pen for lots more sparkle and shine, and I added gold to the butterfly and flowers with a marker.




Supplies for first card and bookmark:
Card size - Standard A2
934 Best Wishes Stand-Up Helper - Elizabeth Craft Designs
2516 Asian Vases - Elizabeth Craft Designs
2517 Kimono - Elizabeth Craft Designs
SS 0212Gold Shimmer Sheetz - Elizabeth Craft Designs
E-106 Dancing Leaves embossing folder - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Patterned paper - DCWV
Vellum - stash
Score Tape
Tassel - stash

Supplies for second card:
Card size:  4-1/4 x 5"
2516 Asian Vases Peel-Off's - Elizabeth Craft Designs
1262 Ribbon Flowers Peel-Off's - Elizabeth Craft Designs
2342 Butterflies Small Peel-Off's - Elizabeth Craft Designs
738 Lg Happy Birthday - Elizabeth Craft Designs
Black card stock
Hand-made metallic card stock
Gold marker - Pilot
Pink Gel Pen
Sakura Stardust Gel Pen
Black fine point pen - Zig Millennium 

Be sure to check out the Elizabeth Craft Designs Blog today to see Joset's post and all the Designer's Challenge cards!

Thanks for stopping by today!

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful cards & very thorough tutorial as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Creations my friend...LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cards are absolutely beautiful and just so elegant! I love that you used vellum and the complimenting book mark is so pretty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GMTA ... such beautiful cards Karen, of course my fav is the first one I am loving this style of card as you probably can tell seeing that is what I did for the challenge too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous cards Karen, love all the colors that you used! Awesome Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's always a pleasure to have a look at your new cards
    Elma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Cards Karen! Love them all and great tutorial and tips. Love the Peel-Off on the Vellum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read them all, and appreciate them greatly!
Have a great day,
Karen